"To have found God and still to pursue Him is the soul's paradox of love, scorned indeed by the too easily satisfied religionist, but justified in happy experience by the children of the burning heart." -A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God

3.31.2006

without love i am nothing

Of man's disobedience, and the fruit
Of that forbidden tree, whose mortal taste
Brought death into the world, and all our woe,
With loss of Eden..

With those words, John Milton in 1664 summed up the plight of man - we are fallen. The epic story of the world as we know it is the story of a fallen people. It is the story of wars and diseases and famines and disasters, of pain and hatred and bigotry and fear. Yes, it also is the story of redemption and hope and ultimate, unending love, but that is not what this is about.

I need to be fallen for awhile.

Why? So much of Christianity is summed up in "victory theology", where Christ has come and has freed us from sin and death, defeating them both forever. Yes! This is true. Never for a moment believe anything otherwise. "There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, for the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death..." (Romans 8:1) But oh, how I take this for granted! I see freedom and grace and hope as things entitled to me, and not as they are: bought with a price so high creation screamed at its payment.

Recently, a friend reminded me of the words of the great theologian Stan Lee, creator of Spiderman, "With great power comes great responsibility." In my zeal for my dream of a passionate world for Christ, I have forgotten this. I have a responsibility to serve those under - and beside - me. Jesus taught us this. With all the power in history, he came on the scene of a fallen world with the ability to immediately destroy sin. However, he didn't, choosing instead to become as the fallen, though sinless, that he might reconcile them before God. Christ's servant heart is a reminder of our state - that we cannot be "victorious Christians" igniting a revolutoon for the kingdom - without serving, humbly, remembering from where we have come. My prayer for myself is that in my state of conviction, I would remember what it is like to be fallen, and that in my state of authority that would bring me to my knees in the light of the One who has all authority in heaven and on earth. Unless I serve, I am nothing.

As the blogsphere is not always the most public of places, I'm not sure if this serves as a "public" confession, but as for the private nature of the event, it's the best I've got. Friend, I am fallen, as you are fallen - saints yet sinners still. I was, and am often, wrong. I will be wrong again. Never let my heart beat for anything but the heart of Christ, who was as a servant. Whatever it takes. All the revolutionary cries in the world are silenced if a heart of humility is not present. This is my charge for you, and my plea for forgiveness. My prayer is an echo of Dante, as he escaped Hell:

My guide and I crossed over and began
to mount that little known and lightless road
to ascend into the shining world again.
He first, I second, without thought of rest
we climbed the dark until we reached the point
where a round opening brought in sight the blest
and beautious shining of the Heavenly cars.
And we walked out once more beneath the Stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home